Burlington Christian Church
We are an independent, non-denominational Christian Church. We are followers of Jesus the Christ (the Savior of the world)! We believe the Word of God to be the inspired and infallible breath of God for us as believers. We follow the pattern of the New Testament Church as we see it in the book of Acts and we believe that the Old Testament is useful and profitable as it supports and gives clarity to the truths and writings of the Apostles. We love all of the Law, the Prophets and the writings of the Apostles – we simply follow the pattern of the NT church as we see it in book of Acts.
We are a church of Christians that follow the teaching of Jesus laid out for us in the New Testament –Our hope is to hold closely to, and follow the pattern of the New Testament Church as we see it in the bible. We believe that the bible teaches baptism of believers by immersion and we observe of the Lord’s Supper on the first day of each week. We seek to reach the souls of sinful people following closely to the teachings taught by Jesus Christ and His Apostles. In our efforts to restore the Church to its original form and purposes, we use no guide but the New Testament and no authority but Jesus Christ.
The congregation began meeting in the Spring of 1971, first in homes, then in the community room at Holly Hill Mall. The Church property at the corner of Trails Two and Four was purchased in early 1972 with the first full time preacher being called that year. The first Deacons were ordained in December of 1974 and the first Elders in June of 1985.
Our Connecting Churches…
Although we are an independent congregation with no control beyond the local congregation, we cooperate with and fellowship with over 5000 other congregations in similar belief. This cooperative effort enables us to claim over 1300 missionaries, serving full time in 45 different countries. We strive to bring the Good News to every person, that by believing in Jesus Christ, through repentance and baptism, we can have our sins forgiven; and through a life of faithful obedience find an eternal home with our Lord and Savior.
Striving to follow the patterns of the New Testament Scriptures…
- To be known only as Christians (Acts 11:26; 1 Peter 4:16), and as a church of Christ (Matthew 16:18; Romans 16:16).
- To be identified, or committed, to no earthly organization, denomination, or sect, but only to Jesus Christ (Colossians 3:17), His Church (Ephesians 5:23-32), and to the Holy scriptures.
- To preach the same gospel delivered by Jesus Christ and his Apostles (Mark 16:15; 1 Corinthians 15: 1-4).
- To require for membership in this local congregation only what Christ has required for our salvation (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16; Luke 24:47; John 3:5; Acts 2:38).
- To observe the ordinances of baptism (Matthew 3:13-17; Acts 8:38-39; Romans 6:3-5) and the Lord”s Supper (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26) as the Bible teaches.
- To strive to live the Christian life, to give honor to our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ, (Titus 2:11-14), and to encourage and admonish each other to mutual edification and Christ-likeness, using the Holy Scriptures as the only rule of faith and practice.
- To do all things by the guidance of God”s Word and the Holy Spirit, always in the spirit of unselfish unity and love.
- To follow the pattern laid out in the NT concerning Elders & Deacons for the purpose of leadership in the church and carrying out the will of God.
Our Mission Statement…
‘OUR MISSION IS TO CONNECT PEOPLE TO JESUS AND EACH OTHER’
- To do our best in reaching the unchurched in the Burlington area. (Mathew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8)
- To do our best that all who are members continue to mature into the image of Christ. (Ephesians 4:12-14)
- To do good works that people may see them and give glory to God. (Mathew 5:16)
- To enable the Gospel to be preached beyond our borders in obedience to Christ”s command. (Mathew 28:18-20)